Reports to Director of Programs/Head Start
$35/hour; 15 contracted hours per month
The Nurse Consultant position is a contracted position and is contingent upon funding availability. This person is responsible for coordinating health services across all program options (Home Visiting, Center Based Child Care, and Family Child Care).
Essential Job Duties
Other duties may be assigned.
1. Operate a computer and related software applications, particularly ChildPlus, to enter and retrieve data, maintain records and generate reports.
2. Develop and maintain knowledge of ChildPlus.
3. Develop and maintain knowledge of the Head Start Performance Standards health and data requirements and DCFS health requirements.
4. Collaborate with the Director of Programs/Head Start, Intake Team, Home Visiting Manager, and Nutrition Consultant to meet HS/EHS health requirements.
5. Review the initial physician’s medical/dental and on-going assessments to determine whether there are conditions requiring treatment that should be addressed.
6. After review of the medical documents, document follow-up needed in Child Plus, as well as, communicate any follow-up with Programs Assistant so they can assist with data entry.
7. Run regular reports from Child Plus to ensure that the following health documents and information are being collected and entered: physicals, immunizations, dentals, care plans, medical homes, dental homes, insurance.
8. Conduct prenatal client intakes, in collaboration with the Intake & Eligibility Team.
9. For currently enrolled prenatal parents, complete a postpartum visit within two weeks of the birth of the child. Administer the depression screening tool.
10. Assist the Director of Programs/Head Start in gathering data to complete the health services section for the annual PIR report.
11. Assist with the OHS federal review and the annual self-assessment process in gathering information to help the program determine the quality of medical services in accordance with the Head Start Performance Standards.
12. Provide resources and referrals as needed to support families.
13. Plan and implement staff and parent meetings/trainings as needed.
14. Conduct partner site visits as needed (visits will occur in-person only when environments are deemed safe).
15. Conduct one-on-one meetings via referral from family service staff (in-person contacts will occur only when environments are deemed safe).
16. Other Duties
a. As needed, attend and participate in regular staff meetings, staff training events, and adhere to agency policies, procedures, and professional core values/professional code of ethics.
b. Meet regularly with the Director of Programs/Head Start.
c. Plan and attend the Health Services Advisory Committee meetings.
d. Ensure completion of the annual requirement of 15 hours of professional development, including but not limited to HS/EHS required trainings.
17. Must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 and provide a copy of vaccination card.
Required Qualifications & Competencies
1. Must have a nursing degree (Licensed Practical Nurse at a minimum) and experience in public health, nursing, health education, maternal and child health, or health administration as per Head Start Performance Standards.
2. Experience working with at-risk families with children from birth to five and prenatal parents required.
3. Knowledge of the services of children in the Early and Periodic Screening, Diagnostic, and Treatment (EPSDT).
4. Demonstrated respect and acceptance of diverse individuals and communities served by, working in partnership with or employed by Childcare Network of Evanston but not limited to race, gender, ethnicity, social-economic status, and LGBTQ populations.
5. Prior professional experience with programs funded by the Office of Head Start preferred.
6. Experience working with children with special needs.
7. Understanding of Head Start Performance Standards, state, and local requirements.
8. Must have valid driver’s license and auto insurance when the position requires an employee to operate a motor vehicle in connection with executing responsibilities, which include driving to and/or from any agency function.
9. Must submit a criminal background check and a child abuse and neglect screening and maintain a cleared status throughout the contract period.
10. Must submit a physical and a negative TB test upon hire and update TB/physicals as required by the agency.
11. Must have intermediate skills with computer applications and have the ability to learn and master computer technology/software programs as required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
1. Experience working in a program located in a high-risk community and with families with children from birth to five required.
2. Ability to speak Spanish and/or Arabic is preferred, but not required.
3. Ability to engage quickly with families in a sensitive and culturally-responsive manner.
4. Experience dealing with families in trauma situations with good crisis intervention skills.
5. Ability to correctly interpret and follow city, state, and federal regulations.
6. Successfully convey and obtain accurate and complete information in a respectful and caring manner, including nonverbal communication or communication with those with language barriers or disabilities.
7. Willingness to engage in, and skillful when having, difficult conversations with staff and clients.
8. Attentive to detail, good organizational skills, and efficient time management.
9. Knowledge of community agencies in CNE’s service area preferred.
10. Ability to appropriately manage confidential information and materials.
11. Ability to communicate clearly both verbally and in written form with children and adults.
12. Ability to train and provide presentations to large and small groups.
13. Ability to gather and analyze data and write concise, accurate reports.
14. Ability to exercise independent judgment and make sound decisions.
15. Ability to understand, support, and comply with organizational policies.
16. Willingness and ability to be flexible with hours, including early evenings, in order to carry out the responsibilities of the position.
1. This position requires a combination of walking, sitting and standing.
2. Ability to travel locally with staff to child care sites and homes. Access to reliable personal transportation is required.
3. Early evening hours will be periodically required to ensure training, socialization and health requirements are met.
To apply for the Nurse Consultant position at Childcare Network of Evanston, kindly submit your resume and a personalized cover letter to email@example.com and put “Nurse” in the subject line.
CNE is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, religion, national origin, age, marital status, sexual orientation, political affiliation, gender identity or expression, disability or protected Veteran status.
New Job Opportunity